10th December 2020
The Level 3 ‘Award in Awareness of Dementia’
The Level 3 ‘Award in Awareness of Dementia’ OCNLR has been developed in partnership with Skills for Care. The qualification forms part of a suite of qualifications in dementia care that have been designed to support government strategies to increase knowledge, understanding and skills in caring for people living with dementia.
The qualifications support the changing needs within the sector and are part of the Workforce Development Plan established through the National Dementia Strategy Project (England) 2009 and the Prime Minister’s Dementia Challenge 2015. Development of dementia awareness and understanding amongst the frontline health and care workforce will enhance the quality of services provided to people living with dementia and their families.
The programme is suitable for all those who are working with people living with dementia, for example as a dementia carer, care worker, healthcare assistant, support/key worker and many other roles.
The programme is delivered online and consists of the following four units:
‘Understand the Diversity of Individuals with Dementia’
(Ofqual Unit Ref No: J/617/5010)
· Understand the concept of diversity and its relevance to working with individuals who have dementia.
· Understand that each individual’s experience of dementia is unique.
· Understand the importance of a rights-based approach to dementia.
‘Communication and Interaction with Individuals who have Dementia’
(Ofqual Unit Ref No: L/617/5008)
· Understand that individuals with dementia may communicate in different ways.
· Understand the importance of positive interactions with individuals with dementia.
· Understand the factors which can adversely affect interactions and communication of individuals with dementia.
‘Understand the Process and Experience of Dementia’
(Ofqual Unit Ref No: L/617/5011)
· Understand the neurology of dementia.
· Understand factors that can cause changes in an individual’s condition that may not be attributable to
· Understand the impact of recognition and diagnosis of dementia.
· Understand how dementia care must be underpinned by a person centred-approach.
‘Understand the Administration of Medication to Individuals with Dementia’
(Ofqual Unit Ref No: R/617/5009)
· Understand the common medications available to, and appropriate for, individuals with dementia.
· Understand how to provide person-centred care to individuals with dementia through the appropriate and effective use of medication.
Each unit will be taught via two webinars.
More information and how to book visit our Training and Workshop pages: