Level 3 ‘Award in Awareness of Dementia’ OCNLR
Time & Location
About the Event
The Level 3 ‘Award in Awareness of Dementia’ OCNLR has been developed in partnership with Skills for Care. The qualification forms part of a suite of qualifications in dementia care that have been designed to support government strategies to increase knowledge, understanding and skills in caring for people living with dementia.
The qualifications support the changing needs within the sector and are part of the Workforce Development Plan established through the National Dementia Strategy Project (England) 2009 and the Prime Minister’s Dementia Challenge 2015. Development of dementia awareness and understanding amongst the frontline health and care workforce will enhance the quality of services provided to people living with dementia and their families.
The programme is suitable for all those who are working with people living with dementia, for example as a dementia carer, care worker, healthcare assistant, support/key worker and many other roles.
The programme is delivered online and consists of the following four units:
‘Understand the Diversity of Individuals with Dementia’
(Ofqual Unit Ref No: J/617/5010)
· Understand the concept of diversity and its relevance to working with individuals who have dementia.
· Understand that each individual’s experience of dementia is unique.
· Understand the importance of a rights-based approach to dementia.
‘Communication and Interaction with Individuals who have Dementia’
(Ofqual Unit Ref No: L/617/5008)
· Understand that individuals with dementia may communicate in different ways.
· Understand the importance of positive interactions with individuals with dementia.
· Understand the factors which can adversely affect interactions and communication of individuals with dementia.
‘Understand the Process and Experience of Dementia’
(Ofqual Unit Ref No: L/617/5011)
· Understand the neurology of dementia.
· Understand factors that can cause changes in an individual’s condition that may not be attributable to dementia.
· Understand the impact of recognition and diagnosis of dementia.
· Understand how dementia care must be underpinned by a person centred-approach.
‘Understand the Administration of Medication to Individuals with Dementia’
(Ofqual Unit Ref No: R/617/5009)
· Understand the common medications available to, and appropriate for, individuals with dementia.
· Understand how to provide person-centred care to individuals with dementia through the appropriate and effective use of medication.
Each unit will be taught via two webinars, so there will be 8 webinars in total.
All webinars will start at 2.00pm and finish at 4.30pm.
Webinars for the next programme to be delivered will take place on the following dates:
Unit J/617/5010 – ‘Understand the Diversity of Individuals with Dementia’
21st January 2021 – Part 1
28th January 2021 – Part 2
Unit L/617/5008 - ‘Communication and Interaction with Individuals who have Dementia’
11th February 2021 – Part 1
25th February 2021 – Part 2
Unit L/617/5011 – ‘Understand the Process and Experience of Dementia’
18th March 2021 – Part 1
25th March 2021 – Part 2
Unit R/617/5009 - ‘Understand the Administration of Medication to Individuals with Dementia’
15thApril 2021 – Part 1
22ndApril 2021 – Part 2
These four mandatory units make up the Level 3 ‘Award in Awareness of Dementia’ OCNLR. On successful completion of the programme, eleven (11) credits will be awarded by the accrediting body, the Open College Network London Region (OCNLR).
Cost per delegate: £380
We are able to offer delegates in Sandwell a reduced rate of £190. To claim this rate please use code Sandwell at checkout.
If you have any questions about the course or would like to talk to someone about whether or not it is suitable for your development needs, please call Barbara Stephens on 07774 935905 or email your questions to: email@example.com
- Level 3 ‘Award in Awareness of£380£3800£0